Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When your business has suffered a fire there may be some damage to windows and doors which will need to be secured to avoid further damage from looters and the weather. SERVPRO of West Jordan will board up windows and doors to keep your building from being robbed in the middle of night. We can also set up temporary fencing and provide security for your building if boarding up windows and doors will not secure the building enough due to a devastating fire. Whatever the case, SERVPRO of West Jordan has many options to have your building secured during the mitigation and restoration process.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (801) 282-6366
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.