The Slow Damage of Slow Drains
A clogged drain can really slow life down in West Jordan, UT. Drain cleaners often provide quick and inexpensive results that appear to be harmless, but these methods can drain your wallet fast, months or even years after they’ve earned a spot in the cabinet.
In addition to being hazardous to living things, chemical drain cleaners can damage clothing, countertops, and even pipes. The following are some problems that can occur with household pipes after the use of a chemical drain cleaner:
- PVC pipes can soften as a result of heat generated by the chemical reactions that make drain cleaners effective.
- Metal pipes can corrode as a result of chemical exposure. Older pipes that have already been corroded over many years are especially vulnerable.
- When a clogged drain is treated multiple times with chemical cleaners, unwanted chemical reactions that cause further damage can be caused by different types of cleaners mixing together.
- When pipes have a complete blockage, which is often the case in sewage cleaning, the chemical can sit in the same location in the pipe, giving it ample time to eat away at the integrity of the pipe.
- Chemical cleaners can dislodge clogs, just to have them move further down the pipe. In this scenario, the clog will need further treatment. Often, that treatment is more chemicals.
Each of these situations can result in pipe failure and even the need for water damage repair.
There are other options worth exploring. Taking steps to prevent clogs can have a huge impact. Having a plumber remove a clog and following up with consistent drain maintenance in the form of products that can break down soaps and organic materials should prove less expensive than suffering the effects of long-term chemical treatment.
While it is tempting to do away with a clog via a bottled chemical promising quick results, it’s not always the best plan. Older pipes should be treated with extra caution when a slow drain or clogged drain becomes a problem. Coming up with a safer long-term plan is less convenient in the short term but may reduce aggravation and spending over time.